You can apply for a UK Visitor visa if you want to travel to the UK for a short-term stay such as for holidays, to see your family & friends or do business etc.
A UK Visitor visa allows you short-term stays in the UK. The length of stay allowed depends on the specific type of Visitor visa and the purpose of their visit.
If you need legal advice or help with your UK Visitor visa application, our experienced immigration lawyer can provide you with the help you need.
Table of Contents
- What is a UK visitor visa?
- UK visitor visa applications
- How to apply for a visitor visa UK?
- UK visitor visa requirements
- Documents required for UK visitor visa
- UK visitor visa duration of stay
- UK tourist visa processing time
- UK Visitor visa fees
- Immigration lawyer for the UK tourist visa
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?
What is a UK visitor visa?
A UK Visitor visa, also known as a Standard Visitor visa allows individuals to enter the United Kingdom for a temporary period of time for certain purposes, such as tourism, business, or medical treatment. The visa is issued by the Home Office (UKVI) and is required for citizens of many countries who wish to enter the UK for short stays.
UK visitor visa applications
There are several types of UK Visitor visas, depending on the purpose and length of the visit.
The most common types of UK Visitor visas are:
Standard Visitor visa allows for visits up to 6 months for tourism, business, or medical treatment purposes.
How to apply for a visitor visa UK?
To apply for a UK Visitor visa, applicants must follow these steps:
- Determine the type of visa
- Complete the online application form
- Schedule a biometric appointment
- Prepare supporting documents
- Submit the application
- Attend the interview (if required)
- Wait for the visa decision
It is important to note that the specific steps and requirements may vary depending on the applicant's country of residence and the type of visa they are applying for. It is advisable to consult with an expert immigration advisor for more information on the visa application process.
Learn more about step by step process to apply for a UK Visitor visa, the required documents and fees.
UK visitor visa requirements
To be eligible for a UK Visitor visa, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Purpose of visit: The applicant must have a genuine reason for visiting the UK, such as tourism, business, or medical treatment.
- Length of stay: The applicant must not intend to stay in the UK for longer than the period allowed by their visa (usually up to six months).
- Funds: The applicant must be able to support themselves financially during their stay in the UK, without recourse to public funds.
- Accommodation: The applicant must have suitable accommodation arranged for their stay in the UK.
- Ties to home country: The applicant must have strong ties to their home country, such as family, property, or employment, which will encourage them to return home after their visit.
- Immigration history: The applicant must have a clean immigration history, with no previous visa refusals or immigration violations in the UK or other countries.
- Criminal history: The applicant must not have a criminal record or pose a threat to national security or public safety.
You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements depending on type of application and your personal circumstances. Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options.
Documents required for UK visitor visa
To apply for a UK Visitor visa, applicants are typically required to submit the following documents:
- A valid passport or travel document.
- A completed online application form.
- A recent passport-sized photograph.
- Evidence of the purpose of the visit, such as a letter of invitation from a UK sponsor, travel itinerary, or business documents.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of the visit, such as bank statements or payslips.
- Evidence of accommodation arrangements in the UK, such as hotel bookings or a letter of invitation from a host.
- If the applicant is employed, a letter from their employer confirming their job and salary.
- If the applicant is a student, a letter from their school or university confirming their enrollment and holiday dates.
- If the applicant is visiting for medical treatment, a letter from their doctor or hospital confirming the treatment and arrangements.
This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.
Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.
UK visitor visa duration of stay
The UK Visitor visa is typically valid for up to six months, but it can also be issued for longer periods of time in certain circumstances. During their stay, visitors are not allowed to work or study in the UK, and they must leave the country before their visa expires.
UK tourist visa processing time
The processing time for a UK Student Visitor visa can vary depending on the country where the application is made and the time of year.
Generally, the Home Office (UKVI) aims to process most visitor visa applications within 3 weeks. However, some applications may take longer to process, especially if they require additional administrative processing or if the applicant has a complex case.
UK Visitor visa fees
The fee for a UK Visitor visa can vary depending on the type of visa and the length of stay. You can also find the latest UK visitor visa fees on the GOV website.
|Type||Fee||Maximum length of stay|
|Standard Visitor visa||£120||6 Months|
|Standard Visitor visa for medical reasons||£200||11 Months|
|Standard Visitor visa for academics||£200||12 Months|
|2 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£400||6 months per visit|
|5 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£804||6 months per visit|
|10 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£1004||6 months per visit|
How much does a UK visitor visa application cost?
The cost of a UK Visitor visa application varies depending on the type of application you are applying for and lenght of the stay.
Here are some common costs associated with applying for a UK Visitor visa:
- £120 Standard Visitor visa application fee
- Immigration lawyer fees (if using legal services to boost your chances of success & avoid mistakes)
Please note that the above is a general list of costs associated with UK Visitors visa applications. There may be additional costs depending on your circumstances.
Immigration lawyer fees
Our expert UK immigration lawyer will guide you through every step of the UK Visitor visa application process including advice about legal requirements and eligibility criteria.
At Rex Law Chambers, our immigration lawyer charges a fixed fee between £800-£1000 for our complete legal services in relation to your Visitor visa application. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.
Immigration lawyer for the UK tourist visa
As part of our immigration services for your immigration application, our expert immigration lawyer will:
- advise you about eligibility criteria and the requirement;
- provide you with a comprehensive checklist of supporting documents;
- fill in and submit your Visitor visa application;
- check all the supporting documents;
- upload all the supporting documents online in their correct format and order;
- schedule your biometrics appointments;
- prepare a cover letter or letter of representation to support your application;
- dealing and responding to any enquiries or correspondence from the Home Office (UKVI);
- do all the follow-up work on your visa application until a decision is received from the Home Office (UKVI).
Contact our experienced and friendly immigration lawyer on 0161 989 9370 or fill in our enquiry form to get reliable & confidential immigration advice and legal assistance with a UK Visitor visa application or any other immigration matter.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Here are some commonly asked questions about UK visitor visas:
In most cases, it is not possible to switch from a UK Visitor visa to another type of visa from within the UK. The UK government's immigration rules state that visitors are not allowed to switch to another immigration category from within the UK unless they have specifically been granted permission to do so.
There is no specific minimum bank balance required for a UK Visitor visa. However, applicants are required to provide evidence of their financial status and ability to support themselves during their stay in the UK.
The amount of money required can vary depending on the purpose and length of the visit, as well as the applicant's personal circumstances.
As a general guideline, applicants should have enough funds to cover their travel and accommodation expenses, as well as their daily living expenses during their stay in the UK.
UK Immigration law is an extremely fast-changing and complex area of law. There are high chances of getting a visa refusal if you are not fully aware of relevant immigration law(s) and eligibility criteria.
Most of the applicants seek professional legal help with their UK Standard Visitor visa applications from highly experienced immigration lawyers to boost their chances of success. A well-prepared application can significantly increase your chances of success.