The UK Family Visitor visa allows you to visit the UK to see your family & friends and a short-term stay of no longer than 6 months (or 180 days) per visit.
To make a successful UK Family Visitor visa application, you must meet all the Family Visitor visa requirements and submit all the supporting documents.
If you need legal advice or help with your UK Family Visitor visa application, our experienced immigration lawyer can provide you with the help you need.
Table of Contents
- What is a UK Family Visitor visa?
- What are the requirements for a UK Family visitor visa?
- What documents are required for a UK Family Visitor visa?
- Family Visitor visa UK sponsor
- UK Family Visitor visa sponsorship letter
- Invite parents to visit the UK
- UK Family Visitor visa duration of stay
- UK tourist visa processing time
- UK Visitor visa fees
- Immigration lawyer for the UK tourist visa
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?
What is a UK Family Visitor visa?
A UK Family Visitor visa, also known as a Standard Visitor visa allows individuals to visit their family members who are living in the UK for a short period of time. This visa is typically issued for a period of up to 6 months, although in some cases it can be issued for longer.
To be eligible for a UK Family Visitor visa, the applicant must have a family member in the UK who is either a British citizen or has settled status in the UK (i.e., has indefinite leave to remain).
The applicant must also be able to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay in the UK and that they intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit.
What are the requirements for a UK Family visitor visa?
To apply for a UK Family Visitor visa, you must meet certain requirements set out by the UK government. Here are some of the key requirements:
- Relationship: You must have a family member who is a British citizen or settled in the UK, i.e. has indefinite leave to remain.
- Purpose of visit: You must be visiting the UK for a specific purpose, such as attending a family event, visiting friends or family, or undergoing medical treatment. You cannot work or study on a Family Visitor visa.
- Length of stay: The maximum length of stay is up to 6 months.
- Financial support: You must demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK. This can include funds for accommodation, food, and travel.
- Accommodation: You must have suitable accommodation to stay during your visit.
- Intention to return: You must show that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit.
You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements depending on type of application and your personal circumstances. Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options.
What documents are required for a UK Family Visitor visa?
To apply for a UK Family Visitor visa, applicants are typically required to submit the following documents:
- A valid passport or travel document
- A completed online application form
- A recent passport-sized photograph
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of the visit, such as bank statements or payslips
- Evidence of accommodation arrangements in the UK, such as hotel bookings or a letter of invitation from a host
- If the applicant is employed, a letter from their employer confirming their job and salary
- If the applicant is a student, a letter from their school or university confirming their enrollment and holiday dates
This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.
Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.
Family Visitor visa UK sponsor
If someone else (your sponsor) is providing your travel, maintenance or accommodation you should provide evidence showing:
- What support is being provided and whether it extends to any dependent family
- How this support is being provided
- The relationship between you and the sponsor, for example, if they're your family member or your employer)
- The person supporting you is legally in the UK (if applicable), for example, if they have a British passport or residence document
UK Family Visitor visa sponsorship letter
Your sponsor should include the following information in their Family visitor visa sponsorship letter.
- Full name and date of birth of the sponsor
- Full contact details and the UK residential address of the sponsor
- Sponsor's occupation details
- Sponsor's own UK immigration status
- Full name and date of birth of the applicant
- Full contact details and address of the applicant
- Describe the relationship between the sponsor and the visa applicant eg employer, friend, family member etc
- Reasons for the visit
- Applicant's travel details including length of stay, accommodation and how they intend to financially support themselves during their stay
Invite parents to visit the UK
You can invite your parents to the UK if they want to visit you for a short period of time (up to 6 months). Your parents need to apply for a UK Standard Visitor visa.
Your parents must also meet all the eligibility requirements of the UK Standard Visitor visa as described above.
UK Family Visitor visa duration of stay
The UK Family Visitor visa is typically valid for up to six months, but it can also be issued for longer periods of time in certain circumstances. During their stay, visitors are not allowed to work or study in the UK, and they must leave the country before their visa expires.
UK tourist visa processing time
The processing time for a UK Student Visitor visa can vary depending on the country where the application is made and the time of year.
Generally, the Home Office (UKVI) aims to process most visitor visa applications within 3 weeks. However, some applications may take longer to process, especially if they require additional administrative processing or if the applicant has a complex case.
UK Visitor visa fees
The fee for a UK Visitor visa can vary depending on the type of visa and the length of stay. You can also find the latest UK visitor visa fees on the GOV website.
|Type||Fee||Maximum length of stay|
|Standard Visitor visa||£120||6 Months|
|Standard Visitor visa for medical reasons||£200||11 Months|
|Standard Visitor visa for academics||£200||12 Months|
|2 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£400||6 months per visit|
|5 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£804||6 months per visit|
|10 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£1004||6 months per visit|
How much does a UK visitor visa application cost?
The cost of a UK Visitor visa application varies depending on the type of application you are applying for and lenght of the stay.
Here are some common costs associated with applying for a UK Visitor visa:
- £120 Standard Visitor visa application fee
- Immigration lawyer fees (if using legal services to boost your chances of success & avoid mistakes)
Please note that the above is a general list of costs associated with UK Visitors visa applications. There may be additional costs depending on your circumstances.
Immigration lawyer fees
Our expert UK immigration lawyer will guide you through every step of the UK Visitor visa application process including advice about legal requirements and eligibility criteria.
At Rex Law Chambers, our immigration lawyer charges a fixed fee between £800-£1000 for our complete legal services in relation to your Visitor visa application. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.
Immigration lawyer for the UK tourist visa
As part of our immigration services for your immigration application, our expert immigration lawyer will:
- advise you about eligibility criteria and the requirement;
- provide you with a comprehensive checklist of supporting documents;
- fill in and submit your Visitor visa application;
- check all the supporting documents;
- upload all the supporting documents online in their correct format and order;
- schedule your biometrics appointments;
- prepare a cover letter or letter of representation to support your application;
- dealing and responding to any enquiries or correspondence from the Home Office (UKVI);
- do all the follow-up work on your visa application until a decision is received from the Home Office (UKVI).
Contact our experienced and friendly immigration lawyer on 0161 989 9370 or fill in our enquiry form to get reliable & confidential immigration advice and legal assistance with a UK Visitor visa application or any other immigration matter.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Here are some commonly asked questions about UK visitor visas:
In most cases, it is not possible to switch from a UK Visitor visa to another type of visa from within the UK. The UK government's immigration rules state that visitors are not allowed to switch to another immigration category from within the UK unless they have specifically been granted permission to do so.
There is no specific minimum bank balance required for a UK Visitor visa. However, applicants are required to provide evidence of their financial status and ability to support themselves during their stay in the UK.
The amount of money required can vary depending on the purpose and length of the visit, as well as the applicant's personal circumstances.
As a general guideline, applicants should have enough funds to cover their travel and accommodation expenses, as well as their daily living expenses during their stay in the UK.
UK Immigration law is an extremely fast-changing and complex area of law. There are high chances of getting a visa refusal if you are not fully aware of relevant immigration law(s) and eligibility criteria.
Most of the applicants seek professional legal help with their UK Standard Visitor visa applications from highly experienced immigration lawyers to boost their chances of success. A well-prepared application can significantly increase your chances of success.