If you entered the UK on a Fiancé(e) visa and have now married your fiancé(e), you can apply to switch from a Fiance visa to a Spouse visa from inside the UK. The Spouse visa allows you to live and work in the UK for a period of 2.5 years, after which you may be eligible to apply for an extension.

Whether you want to apply, extend or switch to a UK Spouse visa, our experienced immigration lawyer can provide legal advice and help with your visa application.

Please contact our immigration lawyer on 01619899370 or fill in the enquiry form to take the first step towards your successful UK visa application.

Table of Contents

Requirements to switch to a Spouse visa

To switch from a Fiancé(e) visa to a Spouse visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be married to your fiancé(e) and have a valid marriage certificate.
  • You must still be in a genuine and subsisting relationship with your spouse.
  • You must meet the financial requirements, which include a minimum income threshold of £18,600 per year or adequate savings.
  • You must meet the English language requirements, which means passing an English language test at the appropriate level.
  • You must not have breached any immigration laws while in the UK.

To apply for a Spouse visa, you will need to submit an online application and provide supporting documents to prove your eligibility. These documents may include your marriage certificate, evidence of your relationship, proof of your finances, and your English language test results.

It's important to note that the application process can be complex and time-consuming, and it's recommended that you seek the assistance of an immigration lawyer or adviser to ensure that you meet all of the requirements and provide the correct documentation.

How to switch from Fiancé(e) visa to a Spouse visa?

A person who is in the UK on Fiancé(e) visa can switch from Fiancé(e) visa to a Spouse visa from inside the UK as soon he/she has registered his marriage with his/her partner.

Such application for switching from Fiancé(e) visa to a Spouse visa is made online using application form FLR (M) before the expiry of the Fiancé(e) visa.

As a specialist Spouse visa lawyer, we can provide Super Priority Service for applications for switching from Fiancé(e) visa to a Spouse visa and get a decision on your application within 24 hours of the biometrics enrolment date.

UK spouse visa processing time

You should get a decision within 8 weeks once you either attend your appointment at the visa application centre or when you submit your online documents after completing the ID Check app.

UK spouse visa application fees

The spouse visa application fee is £1,048 if you're applying to extend or switch to a spouse visa from inside the UK by using standard service.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Here are some commonly asked questions about UK Spouse visa:

Yes, it is possible to switch from a Fiancé(e) visa to a Spouse visa if you get married to your fiancé(e) within the validity period of the Fiancé(e) visa.

Yes, you are allowed to work in the UK on a UK Spouse visa. You do not need to apply for a separate work visa or permission to work.

Once you have been granted a UK Spouse visa, you will be granted permission to work in the UK without any restrictions. You can work full-time or part-time, and you do not need to have a job offer before you arrive in the UK.

You'll usually get a decision on your Spouse visa within 24 weeks if applying from outside the UK using standard service. However, you may be eligible to use Priority Service to get a decision faster.

If the spouse visa application is granted, the initial leave will normally be granted for 2.5 years under the 5-year route to settlement.

After you have been in the UK for an initial period of 30 months, you can apply for a spouse extension to extend your stay for another 2.5 years.

Call Rex Law Chambers on 0161 989 9370 for confidential legal advice and help with your UK Spouse visa application. You can get help from our immigration lawyer in person, over the phone, via WhatsApp, email or live chat.

Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?

Call us on 0161 989 9370 or fill in the enquiry form to get legal advice or help with your UK visa application. Our UK immigration lawyer is ready to assist you.

At Rex Law Chambers, we specialise in a wide range of UK visas and nationality applications and our principal immigration lawyer has a wealth of experience and expert knowledge to deal with all types of UK visas and immigration applications. He has successfully handled many complex and high-profile cases and also represented clients in their immigration matters.

Free immigration advice online

Our immigration lawyer can provide one-off FREE general legal advice online via live chat or through the enquiry form. The FREE advice does not cover the advice in relation to complex legal issues or advice about documents to be submitted in support of the application.

If you would like to get detailed immigration advice then please schedule an in-person, Zoom, or phone consultation by using our appointment request form.