The applicant must apply for the Spouse visa online by using the correct visa application form, providing all the supporting documents and paying the visa fee.
How to apply?
Below is the step-by-step process to apply for a UK Spouse visa.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Before applying, you should check that you meet the eligibility requirements for a Spouse visa UK. This includes being in a genuine and subsisting marriage or civil partnership with a British citizen or settled person, meeting the financial requirements, and having suitable accommodation, among other requirements.
Step 2: Prepare your documents
You will need to provide various documents to support your application, including your passport, evidence of your relationship, evidence of your finances, and proof of your English language proficiency.
Step 3: Complete the online application form
You will need to complete the online application form on the UK government website. You will need to provide personal information, details of your relationship, and information about your finances and accommodation.
Step 4: Book your biometric appointment
You will need to book an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) centre to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photograph).
Step 5: Submit your application and pay the fee
Once you have completed the application form and booked your biometric appointment, you will need to pay the application fee and submit your application online.
Step 6: Attend your appointment and provide your documents
At your biometric appointment, you will need to provide your supporting documents, including your passport and evidence of your finances and accommodation.
Step 7: Wait for a decision
After submitting your application and attending your appointment, you will need to wait for a decision on your visa application. You can check the status of your application online.
It's important to note that the application process can be complex, and the requirements for a Spouse visa UK are subject to change. If you have any questions or concerns about the application process, you should seek advice from an immigration lawyer or a qualified immigration advisor.
What documents are required to apply for a Spouse visa?
To apply for a UK Spouse visa, the following documents are typically required:
- Valid passport or other travel documents to prove your identity
- Proof that your relationship is genuine & subsisting
- Evidence that you meet the financial requirements
- Evidence of meeting the adequate accommodation requirement
- Evidence of your knowledge of the English language
- Proof of any dependent family members (if applicable)
- Tuberculosis (TB) test results (if applicable)
This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.
Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.
How to send the supporting documents?
First, you need to scan all the supporting documents in the correct format. If you do not have a scanner then you can also take pictures of the supporting documents.
Once all the documents are ready then you can upload them. You don't need to send original documents anywhere.
Make sure that all the supporting documents:
- are in PDF, JPEG or PNG format
- have descriptive titles, with 25 or fewer characters
- are high enough quality to be read
If documents are not in English or Welsh, you must provide a certified translation.
UK spouse visa processing time
Once you have applied online and attended your biometrics appointment, you'll usually get a decision on your Spouse visa within the:
- 24 weeks, if applying from outside the UK using standard service
- 8 weeks, if applying from inside the UK using standard service
- 5 working days, if applying using priority service
- 24 hours, if applying using super priority service
Super Priority Service
You may be eligible to use the 'super priority service' to get a faster decision by the end of the next working day (within 24 hours). You'll need to pay £1,000 in addition to the UK visa application fee.
You may be able to choose the 'priority service' when you apply for a UK visa to get a faster decision within 5 working days. You'll need to pay £500 in addition to the UK visa application fee.
When you apply, you might be eligible to choose the 'super priority service' or 'priority service' to get your visa faster depending on the type of application and what country you're in.
UK spouse visa application fees
The spouse visa application fee is £1,538 if you are applying from outside the UK using a standard service. You have to pay £1,048 if you're applying to extend or switch to a spouse visa from inside the UK.
Please note that these fees are subject to change, and you should always check the most up-to-date information on the UK government's official website before applying for a visa.
How much does it cost?
The cost of a UK visa application varies depending on the type of visa you are applying for, your location and the type of service such as 'standard service', or 'priority service'.
Here are some common costs associated with applying for a UK visa:
- Spouse visa application fee
- Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)
- Biometrics fee (if applying from inside the UK)
- £1,000 in addition to the visa fee if using the super priority service
- £500 in addition to the visa fee if using the priority service
- English language test fee (if required)
- Immigration lawyer fees (if using legal services to boost your chances of success & avoid mistakes)
Please note that the above is a general list of costs associated with UK visa applications. There may be additional costs such translation fee and tuberculosis (TB) test fee depending on your circumstances.
Immigration lawyer fees
Our expert UK immigration lawyer will guide you through every step of the UK visa application process including advice about legal requirements and eligibility criteria.
At Rex Law Chambers, our immigration lawyer charges a fixed fee between £800-£1000 for our complete legal services in relation to your Spouse visa application. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.
How can an immigration lawyer help you?
As part of our immigration services for your immigration application, our expert immigration lawyer will:
- assess your eligibility for the relevant visa type by fully considering your circumstances;
- advise you on the required supporting documents to be submitted in support of your immigration application;
- assess all the documents to ensure that the documents you provide are as per the requirements of the Immigration Rules;
- advise you on strengths and potential weaknesses in your visa application and how you can overcome such weaknesses if any;
- complete the online immigration draft application form to share it with you for cross-checking;
- submit your application online and schedule your biometrics appointments with the relevant commercial partner of the UKVI;
- prepare a detailed cover letter in support of the immigration application explaining in detail how you are meeting all the requirements of the Immigration Rules so that you have the maximum chances of succeeding in your visa application;
- upload all the supporting documents online in support of the immigration application in their correct format and order;
- dealing and responding to any caseworker enquiries or correspondence from the Home Office caseworker for any further documents or information concerning your pending immigration application;
- do all the follow-up work on your immigration application until a decision is received from the Home Office UKVI.
Contact our experienced and friendly immigration lawyer on 0161 989 9370 or fill in our enquiry form to get reliable & confidential immigration advice and legal assistance with a UK visa application or any other immigration matter.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Here are some commonly asked questions about UK Spouse visa:
Yes, it is possible to switch from a Fiancé(e) visa to a Spouse visa if you get married to your fiancé(e) within the validity period of the Fiancé(e) visa.
Yes, you are allowed to work in the UK on a UK Spouse visa. You do not need to apply for a separate work visa or permission to work.
Once you have been granted a UK Spouse visa, you will be granted permission to work in the UK without any restrictions. You can work full-time or part-time, and you do not need to have a job offer before you arrive in the UK.
You'll usually get a decision on your Spouse visa within 24 weeks if applying from outside the UK using standard service. However, you may be eligible to use Priority Service to get a decision faster.
If the spouse visa application is granted, the initial leave will normally be granted for 2.5 years under the 5-year route to settlement.
After you have been in the UK for an initial period of 30 months, you can apply for a spouse extension to extend your stay for another 2.5 years.