The UK Charity Worker visa is a type of temporary work visa that allows individuals to come to the UK for a limited period of time to work for a charity. You can apply for this visa if you wish to do unpaid voluntary work for a charity in the UK. 

This visa has replaced the Temporary Worker - Charity Worker visa (T5).

If you need legal advice or help with your Charity Worker visa application, our experienced immigration lawyer can provide you with the help you need.

Call Rex Law Chambers on 0161 989 9370 or fill in our enquiry form for immigration advice and help with your Charity Worker visa application.

Table of Contents

Requirements for Charity Worker visa

To be eligible for a UK Charity Worker visa, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).
  • You must be able to support yourself financially during your stay in the UK, without recourse to public funds.
  • You must be 18 or over when you apply.

You cannot get this visa if you were given a Religious Worker or Charity Worker visa in the last year unless you can prove you were outside the UK for the whole of that time.

You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements depending on type of application and your personal circumstances. Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options.

What is a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)?

A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) is a document issued by a UK employer or sponsor to a non-EEA (European Economic Area) worker who is offered a job in the UK. It is a unique reference number that the worker needs in order to apply for a UK work visa.

A certificate of sponsorship is a reference number which holds information about the job and your personal details. It's not an actual certificate or paper document. Your sponsor will give you your certificate of sponsorship reference number. They must also give you some other information to help you to apply, for example, your working hours.

Your certificate of sponsorship is valid for 3 months from the date it is assigned to you.

Financial requirements

You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK. You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.

What documents are required for a Charity Worker visa?

You must provide the following documents when you apply for a Charity Worker visa:

  • Your valid passport or travel document to confirm your identity.
  • Your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) reference number.
  • Evidence that you have enough to support yourself during your stay in the UK such as bank statements.

This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.

Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.

How long you can stay in the UK?

You can stay for up to 12 months or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter. You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job.

Extension of Charity Worker visa

Under certain circumstances, you may be able to apply for an extension of your Charity Worker visa from inside the UK. You should apply before your current visa expires.

To be eligible to apply for the extension of the Charity Worker visa, you must be in the UK and must continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

Your partner and children

Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your 'dependants' if they’re eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours.

Charity Worker visa processing time

You will usually get a decision on your Charity Worker visa within 3 weeks if you are applying from outside the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 8 weeks if applying from inside the UK.

How can our immigration lawyer help you?

As part of our immigration services for your immigration application, our expert immigration lawyer will:

  • assess your eligibility for the relevant visa type by fully considering your circumstances;
  • advise you on the required supporting documents to be submitted in support of your immigration application;
  • assess all the documents to ensure that the documents you provide are as per the requirements of the Immigration Rules;
  • advise you on strengths and potential weaknesses in your visa application and how you can overcome such weaknesses if any;
  • complete the online immigration draft application form to share it with you for cross-checking;
  • submit your application online and schedule your biometrics appointments with the relevant commercial partner of the UKVI;
  • prepare a detailed cover letter in support of the immigration application explaining in detail how you are meeting all the requirements of the Immigration Rules so that you have the maximum chances of succeeding in your visa application;
  • upload all the supporting documents online in support of the immigration application in their correct format and order;
  • dealing and responding to any caseworker enquiries or correspondence from the Home Office caseworker for any further documents or information concerning your pending immigration application;
  • do all the follow-up work on your immigration application until a decision is received from the Home Office UKVI.

Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?

Call us on 0161 989 9370 or fill in the enquiry form to get legal advice or help with your UK visa application. Our UK immigration lawyer is ready to assist you.

At Rex Law Chambers, we specialise in a wide range of UK visas and nationality applications and our principal immigration lawyer has a wealth of experience and expert knowledge to deal with all types of UK visas and immigration applications. He has successfully handled many complex and high-profile cases and also represented clients in their immigration matters.

Free immigration advice online

Our immigration lawyer can provide one-off FREE general legal advice online via live chat or through the enquiry form. The FREE advice does not cover the advice in relation to complex legal issues or advice about documents to be submitted in support of the application.

If you would like to get detailed immigration advice then please schedule an in-person, Zoom, or phone consultation by using our appointment request form.