The Frontier Worker Permit is a type of work visa introduced by the UK government for EEA nationals who are not residents of the UK but are working in the UK.
The Frontier Worker Permit is a new type of immigration permission introduced by the UK government for EEA and Swiss nationals who are not residents in the UK but are working in the UK. These individuals are known as "frontier workers", and they are defined as those who work in the UK but live elsewhere.
If you need legal advice or help with your Frontier Worker permit application, our experienced immigration lawyer can provide you with the help you need.
Table of Contents
- What is a Frontier Worker permit?
- Requirements for Frontier Worker permit
- Documents required for a Frontier Worker permit
- How to apply for Frontier Worker permit?
- What the permit allows you to do
- Frontier Worker permit processing time
Requirements for Frontier Worker permit
To be eligible for a Frontier Worker Permit in the UK, you must meet certain requirements, including:
- Be a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.
- Be living outside of the UK before December 31, 2020.
- Have been regularly commuting to the UK to work before December 31, 2020.
- Be able to provide evidence that you are a frontier worker, such as payslips, contracts, or proof of registration with HM Revenue and Customs.
- Have a valid passport or national identity card.
- Not intend to live in the UK for extended periods or access public funds.
If you're an Irish citizen, you do not need to apply for a Frontier Worker permit but you can choose to do so.
You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements depending on type of application and your personal circumstances. Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options.
What documents are required for a Frontier Worker permit?
To apply for a Frontier Worker Permit in the UK, you will need to provide the following documents:
- A valid passport or national identity card.
- Proof of your nationality (such as a birth certificate or previous passport).
- Evidence of your employment, such as a letter from your employer, a contract of employment, or recent payslips.
- Proof of your regular commuting to the UK for work, such as travel receipts or a letter from your employer confirming your commute.
- Evidence that you were living outside the UK before December 31, 2020, such as a tenancy agreement, utility bill or other documentation.
- If you have changed your name, you will need to provide evidence of your name change, such as a marriage certificate or deed poll.
This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.
Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.
How to apply for Frontier Worker permit?
To apply for a Frontier Worker Permit in the UK, you will need to follow these steps:
- Check if you are eligible for a Frontier Worker Permit.
- Gather the required documentation, such as proof of your employment, regular commuting to the UK for work, and evidence that you were living outside the UK before December 31, 2020.
- Apply online through the UK government's application portal. You will need to create an account and provide your personal details, employment information, and evidence to support your application.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit your application and wait for a decision. You may be required to attend a biometric appointment to provide your fingerprints and photograph.
- Once your application is approved, you will receive a Frontier Worker Permit, which will allow you to continue working in the UK as a frontier worker.
It is important to ensure that your application is complete and accurate before submitting it, as any errors or omissions could result in delays or a refusal of your application. You should also ensure that you submit your application well in advance of any planned travel to the UK to allow sufficient processing time.
What the permit allows you to do
Your permit allows you to enter the UK as a frontier worker. It proves your right to access benefits and services, including NHS healthcare, if you meet the relevant eligibility requirements.
If you have a digital version of your permit you can also use this to prove your right to work or rent.
Frontier Worker permit processing time
The processing time for a Frontier Worker Permit application in the UK can vary depending on several factors. The UK government aims to process applications within 10 days, but in some cases, it may take longer.