Whether you want to apply, switch or extend a UK family visa, our immigration lawyer can provide legal advice assistance with your UK family visa application.
Types of UK Family Visas
There are different types of family visas available, depending on the relationship between the applicant and their UK-based family member. Here are some popular family visa applications.
What is a UK family visa?
UK family visas are a type of visa issued by the UK government to non-EEA (European Economic Area) citizens who wish to join their family members in the UK.
Some examples of UK family visas include:
- Spouse/partner visas: These visas allow the spouse or partner of a UK citizen or settled person to enter and live in the UK.
- Parent visas: These visas allow parents of a UK citizen or settled person to enter and live in the UK, subject to certain eligibility criteria.
- Child visas: These visas allow children of a UK citizen or settled person to enter and live in the UK, subject to certain eligibility criteria.
- Adult dependent relative visas: These visas allow an adult who is dependent on a UK citizen or settled person to enter and live in the UK, subject to certain eligibility criteria.
To be eligible for a family visa, the applicant must meet certain requirements, including proving their relationship with the UK-based family member, meeting financial requirements, and demonstrating their ability to speak and understand English.
The application process can be complex, and it is recommended to seek advice from a qualified immigration advisor.
How to apply for a UK family visa?
To apply for a UK family visa, you will need to complete a correct application form depending on the type of your application and provide supporting documents.
Generally, you need to provide documents such as your passport, proof of genuine & subsisting relationship, and accommodation arrangements. You may also be required to provide biometric information, such as fingerprints and a photograph.
Extension of UK family visa
You can apply for the extension of your UK Family visa to extend your stay with your family member if you are already in the UK on a UK family visa. You can extend your Family visa at any time before the expiry of your current Family visa.
Switching to a family visa UK
If you came to the UK on a different visa other than a UK Family visa, you might be able to switch to a family visa to stay with your spouse, partner, child or parent. You can switch to a UK Family visa at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.
UK family visa processing time (outside the UK)
You should get a decision on your UK family visa within 24 weeks if applying outside the UK using standard service. However, it may take longer depending on the complexity of the matter.
UK family visa processing time (inside the UK)
If you want to extend or switch to a UK family visa from inside the UK, you will get a decision within 8 weeks. However, you may be able to use super priority service to get a faster decision.
Super Priority Service
You may be eligible to use the 'super priority service' to get a faster decision by the end of the next working day (within 24 hours). You'll need to pay £1,000 in addition to the UK visa application fee.
You may be able to choose the 'priority service' when you apply for a UK visa to get a faster decision within 5 working days. You'll need to pay £500 in addition to the UK visa application fee.
Immigration lawyer for the UK family visas
As part of our immigration services for your immigration application, our expert immigration lawyer will:
- assess your eligibility for the relevant visa type by fully considering your circumstances;
- advise you on the required supporting documents to be submitted in support of your immigration application;
- assess all the documents to ensure that the documents you provide are as per the requirements of the Immigration Rules;
- advise you on strengths and potential weaknesses in your visa application and how you can overcome such weaknesses if any;
- complete the online immigration draft application form to share it with you for cross-checking;
- submit your application online and schedule your biometrics appointments with the relevant commercial partner of the UKVI;
- prepare a detailed cover letter in support of the immigration application explaining in detail how you are meeting all the requirements of the Immigration Rules so that you have the maximum chances of succeeding in your visa application;
- upload all the supporting documents online in support of the immigration application in their correct format and order;
- dealing and responding to any caseworker enquiries or correspondence from the Home Office caseworker for any further documents or information concerning your pending immigration application;
- do all the follow-up work on your immigration application until a decision is received from the Home Office UKVI.