The partner and children of a UK Skilled Worker visa holder can apply for PBS dependent visa to join or stay in the UK as 'dependants' if they’re eligible.
The application process and requirements for the PBS Dependent Visa may change over time, so applicants should always consult with a qualified immigration lawyer or advisor for the latest information and eligibility requirements.
Table of Contents
- What is a Skilled Worker Dependent visa?
- What is a PBS Dependent visa?
- What is a UK Skilled Worker visa?
- What are the requirements for a skilled worker dependent visa?
- Skilled Worker dependent visa processing time
- UK dependent visa priority service
- Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?
What is a Skilled Worker Dependent visa?
A skilled worker dependent visa is a type of immigration status that allows the qualified dependents of a skilled worker to come and live with them in the country where they are employed.
This visa is generally issued to the spouse and children (under a certain age) of a skilled worker who are planning to migrate on a long-term basis. It enables them to work and go to school in their new country of residence, as well as enjoy the same rights and privileges as the primary visa holder.
The purpose of the skilled worker dependent visa is to encourage skilled workers to move to another country by making it easier for their families to join them. This visa can be beneficial for both the primary visa holder and their dependents, as it allows them to build a new life together.
What is a PBS Dependent visa?
A PBS (Points Based System) dependent visa is a type of visa that allows the dependents of an individual who has come to the UK on a work visa under the Points Based System to join them and stay in the country.
The UK's Points Based System is a way of assessing a person's eligibility to work and live in the country based on certain criteria such as skills, qualifications, and job prospects. If someone is granted a work visa under this system, they may be able to bring certain family members (such as a spouse or children) with them to the UK.
The PBS dependent visa allows these family members to enter and remain in the UK as the dependents of the primary visa holder. This type of visa is generally issued to the spouse, unmarried partner, or children (under a certain age) of the primary visa holder.
To be eligible for a PBS dependent visa, the applicant must meet certain requirements such as having enough funds to support themselves and their family members, being able to demonstrate a genuine relationship with the primary visa holder, and meeting any relevant English language requirements.
What is a UK Skilled Worker visa?
The Skilled Worker visa is a long-term UK work visa category that allows Skilled workers to come to the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer. The Skilled Worker visa is designed to attract skilled workers who can contribute to the UK's economy and fill shortages in certain occupations.
This visa replaced the Tier 2 (General) visa in December 2020 as part of the UK's new immigration system.
What are the requirements for a skilled worker dependent visa?
To apply for a Skilled Worker dependent visa, you must meet certain requirements. These requirements may vary depending on your specific situation, but some general eligibility criteria include:
- Relationship with the primary Skilled Worker visa holder: You must be the spouse, unmarried partner, or child (under a certain age) of the primary visa holder. You must provide evidence of your relationship, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate.
- Financial requirements: You must demonstrate that you can support yourself and any dependents without relying on public funds. You may need to show evidence of your financial situation such as bank statements, payslips, or tax documents.
- English language proficiency: You may need to demonstrate your English language proficiency by passing an approved English language test or showing that you have previously studied in English.
- TB test: You may need to take a TB test, depending on your country of origin.
- Validity of primary visa: Your visa application must be made while the primary Skilled Worker visa held by your partner is still valid.
It is important to note that these are general requirements and may vary depending on your specific circumstances. You should consult with a qualified immigration advisor for specific guidance on applying for a Skilled Worker dependent visa.
Skilled Worker dependent visa processing time
For those applying for a Skilled Worker dependent visa from outside of the UK, the Home Office (UKVI) aims to process visa applications within 8 weeks.
You should usually get a decision on your PBS dependent visa within 3 weeks once you've applied online to switch to or extend your visa from inside the UK using standard service.
UK dependent visa priority service
When you apply, you might be eligible to choose the 'super priority service' or 'priority service' to get your visa faster depending on the type of application and what country you're in.
You may be eligible to use the 'super priority service' to get a faster decision by the end of the next working day (within 24 hours). You'll need to pay £1,000 in addition to the UK visa application fee.
You may be able to choose the 'priority service' when you apply for a UK visa to get a faster decision within 5 working days. You'll need to pay £500 in addition to the UK visa application fee.