The applicants will need to provide several documents in support of their UK Skilled Worker visa application depending on their personal circumstances.

The application process and requirements for the Skilled Worker visa may change over time. It is recommended that you consult the immigration lawyer on applying for a Skilled Worker visa to ensure that you provide all the necessary documents for your application.

Call Rex Law Chambers on 0161 989 9370 or fill in our enquiry form for immigration advice and help with your Skilled Worker visa application.

Table of Contents

What documents are required to apply for a Skilled Worker visa?

To apply for a Skilled Worker visa in the UK, an applicant must submit several documents, including:

  • Valid passport: The applicant's passport must be valid for the entire duration of their stay in the UK.
  • Certificate of sponsorship: The applicant must have a certificate of sponsorship from their UK employer, which includes details of the job offer and salary.
  • Proof of knowledge of English: The applicant must provide evidence of their knowledge of English, such as a certificate from an approved English language test provider or a degree taught in English.
  • Bank statements: The applicant must provide bank statements or other evidence to show they have enough money to support themselves in the UK.
  • Criminal record certificate: The applicant must provide a criminal record certificate from any country they have lived in for more than 12 months in the past 10 years.
  • Tuberculosis (TB) test results: The applicant must provide a TB test result if they are from a country where TB is common.
  • Academic qualification certificates: If the job requires certain qualifications, the applicant must provide evidence of those qualifications.
  • Employment reference letters: The applicant must provide references from their previous employers to show their work experience and skills.

This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.

Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.

What are the Skilled Worker visa eligibility requirements?

To be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa in the UK, an applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • Job offer: The applicant must have a job offer from a UK employer who holds a valid sponsor license. The job offer must meet the skill level requirement and be on the list of eligible occupations for skilled work.
  • Certificate of sponsorship: The employer must provide a certificate of sponsorship, which confirms that the applicant has a genuine job offer.
  • Salary requirement: The applicant must be paid at least the minimum salary threshold for the job they are offered, which varies depending on the occupation and skill level.
  • Skill level: The job must be at RQF level 3 or above, which generally requires at least A-levels or equivalent qualifications. Some skilled jobs require higher qualifications.
  • English language: The applicant must meet English language requirements, either by passing an approved English language test, or by holding a degree taught in English, or by being a national of a majority English-speaking country.
  • Financial requirement: The applicant must show that they can support themselves in the UK without relying on public funds.
  • Criminal record: The applicant must not have any criminal convictions or a history of unacceptable behaviour.

You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements depending on type of application and your personal circumstances. Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options.

Certificate of sponsorship

The Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) is a key requirement for the Skilled Worker visa. It is an electronic document that is issued by the employer who has offered the individual a job in the UK.

To obtain a Skilled Worker visa, the individual must have a valid CoS from their sponsoring employer. The CoS serves as evidence that the employer has met the requirements to sponsor an individual under the Skilled Worker visa category and that the individual has a genuine job offer in the UK.

To apply for a Skilled Worker visa, the individual will need to provide their CoS reference number, which will be included in the CoS. The CoS will also include details about the individual's job, including the job title, the job duties, and the salary.

Documentary evidence to meet the financial requirement

The financial maintenance requirement is an important eligibility criterion for the Skilled Worker visa, which requires that an individual must be able to support themselves while living in the UK. You can meet this requirement through your bank statement.

You'll usually need to have at least £1,270 for a period of 28 days if they are applying from outside the UK, or £945 for a period of 90 days if they are applying from inside the UK.

Evidence of your knowledge of the English language

When applying for a Skilled Worker visa, you will generally be required to meet the English language requirements as part of the application process. The specific requirements will depend on your individual circumstances.

In general, to meet the English language requirement for a Skilled Worker visa, you must provide evidence that you:

  • Have a degree taught in English that is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, master's degree, or PhD;
  • Have passed a Home Office approved English language test at the required level (currently CEFR level B1 or above) with a recognized test provider; or
  • Have obtained an academic qualification taught in English from an institution that is recognized by UK NARIC (the National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom).

If you need to take an English language test, you can find a list of Home Office approved test providers on the UK government's website. You should ensure that you meet the required level of English language proficiency before taking the test, as failing the test can delay your Skilled Worker visa application.

If you have any questions or concerns about the English language requirements for your ILR application, it's advisable to seek guidance from an immigration lawyer.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Here are some commonly asked questions about Skilled Worker visa:

To be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa, you must have a confirmed job offer in a UK company that holds a sponsorship licence. You must meet all the eligibility requirements depending on your circumstances.

You may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) (known as 'Settlement'), once you have completed 5 continuous years in the UK as a Skilled Worker.

You must apply online for a UK Skilled Worker visa. You need to upload all the supporting documents, attend biometric appointment and pay the correct visa application & IHS fees.

Call Rex Law Chambers on 0161 989 9370 for confidential legal advice and help with your Skilled Worker visa application. You can get help from our immigration lawyer in person, over the phone, via WhatsApp, email or live chat.

Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?

Call us on 0161 989 9370 or fill in the enquiry form to get legal advice or help with your UK visa application. Our UK immigration lawyer is ready to assist you.

At Rex Law Chambers, we specialise in a wide range of UK visas and nationality applications and our principal immigration lawyer has a wealth of experience and expert knowledge to deal with all types of UK visas and immigration applications. He has successfully handled many complex and high-profile cases and also represented clients in their immigration matters.

Free immigration advice online

Our immigration lawyer can provide one-off FREE general legal advice online via live chat or through the enquiry form. The FREE advice does not cover the advice in relation to complex legal issues or advice about documents to be submitted in support of the application.

If you would like to get detailed immigration advice then please schedule an in-person, Zoom, or phone consultation by using our appointment request form.