A dependent visa allows family members (a partner or children) to enter and remain in the UK as the dependents of the primary visa holder or sponsor.

Dependent visas in the UK are typically associated with specific visa categories, such as spouse visas, civil partner visas, student visas, work visas and so on.

The immigration rules and visa requirements can change over time. Therefore, it is advisable to consult an immigration lawyer for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding dependent visas in the UK.

Call our experienced immigration lawyer on 0161 989 9370 or fill in the enquiry form to take the first step towards your successful UK Dependent visa application.

What is a UK dependent visa?

UK Dependent visa allows close family members (spouse, partner, parent, or child) of a person who is already settled or has a valid visa in the UK to join them.

The main applicant or sponsor must meet specific financial and accommodation requirements to demonstrate that they can support their dependent family members in the UK.

What are the requirements for a dependent visa in the UK?

The requirements for a UK Dependent visa can vary depending on the specific category under which the visa is being applied for. However, we will provide a general overview of the requirements for some common dependent visa categories in the UK.

As a dependent:

  • You must be able to prove your identity;
  • You must be able to prove your relationship with the main applicant or sponsor;
  • You must have enough money to support yourself without relying on public funds;
  • You must intend to live together with your sponsor throughout your stay in the UK.

You must also meet all the other eligibility requirements depending on type of application and your personal circumstances. Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and to discuss the options.

Document checklist for UK dependent visa

To apply for a dependent visa in the UK, an applicant must provide several supporting documents, including:

  • A valid passport or other travel documents
  • Evidence of the relationship between the dependent and main applicant/sponsor
  • Marriage certificate for a spouse or Birth certificate for a child
  • Evidence that you meet the financial requirement
  • Tuberculosis (TB) test results (if applicable)
  • Criminal record certificate (if applicable)

This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.

Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.

UK dependent visa new rules

In May 2023, the UK government announced new rules for Student dependent visas in which many foreign students will lose the right to bring family to the UK.

From January 2024, international students cannot bring their partners and children ('dependants') to the UK unless they are in postgraduate programmes with a research focus.

International students in postgraduate courses that are not designated as research-oriented will not be permitted to bring dependants.

What is the processing time for the UK dependent visa?

The standard UK family or dependent visa processing time is currently 24 weeks (on average) if you are making the application from outside the UK and 8 weeks (on average) if you are applying from inside the UK.

When you apply, you might be eligible to choose the 'super priority service' or 'priority service' to get your visa faster depending on the type of application and what country you are in.

Applicants are advised to check the latest information about UK visa application processing time on the official UK government website either applying from inside the UK or outside the UK.

How can our immigration lawyer help you?

As part of our immigration services for your immigration application, our expert immigration lawyer will:

  • assess your eligibility for the relevant visa type by fully considering your circumstances;
  • advise you on the required supporting documents to be submitted in support of your immigration application;
  • assess all the documents to ensure that the documents you provide are as per the requirements of the Immigration Rules;
  • advise you on strengths and potential weaknesses in your visa application and how you can overcome such weaknesses if any;
  • complete the online immigration draft application form to share it with you for cross-checking;
  • submit your application online and schedule your biometrics appointments with the relevant commercial partner of the UKVI;
  • prepare a detailed cover letter in support of the immigration application explaining in detail how you are meeting all the requirements of the Immigration Rules so that you have the maximum chances of succeeding in your visa application;
  • upload all the supporting documents online in support of the immigration application in their correct format and order;
  • dealing and responding to any caseworker enquiries or correspondence from the Home Office caseworker for any further documents or information concerning your pending immigration application;
  • do all the follow-up work on your immigration application until a decision is received from the Home Office UKVI.

Contact our experienced and friendly immigration lawyer on 0161 989 9370 or fill in our enquiry form to get reliable & confidential immigration advice and legal assistance with a UK visa application or any other immigration matter.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

To qualify for a dependent visa, you must be a close family member or dependent of an individual who is already settled or has a valid visa in the UK.

The family members include your husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried/same-sex partner or your child under 18 years old (including if they were born in the UK during your stay).

No, you generally cannot bring your brother or sister to the UK on a dependent visa. The UK's immigration rules for dependent visas primarily focus on immediate family members, such as spouses, civil partners, and children.

Yes, as a dependent you can study and work full-time in the UK without any restrictions. However, you will not be able to take employment as a doctor or dentist in training.

Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?

Call us on 0161 989 9370 or fill in the enquiry form to get legal advice or help with your UK visa application. Our UK immigration lawyer is ready to assist you.

At Rex Law Chambers, we specialise in a wide range of UK visas and nationality applications and our principal immigration lawyer has a wealth of experience and expert knowledge to deal with all types of UK visas and immigration applications. He has successfully handled many complex and high-profile cases and also represented clients in their immigration matters.

Free immigration advice online

Our immigration lawyer can provide one-off FREE general legal advice online via live chat or through the enquiry form. The FREE advice does not cover the advice in relation to complex legal issues or advice about documents to be submitted in support of the application.

If you would like to get detailed immigration advice then please schedule an in-person, Zoom, or phone consultation by using our appointment request form.