You need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK for up to 6 months for tourism, to see friends & family or other permitted activities.
Below is the step-by-step process to apply for a Standard Visitor visa UK:
- Check if you need a visa
- Determine the type of visa you need
- Gather the required documents
- Fill out the online application form
- Pay the visa fee
- Attend your appointment
- Wait for a decision
Step 1: Check if you need a visa
You can check whether you need a visa to enter the UK on the UK government website.
Step 2: Determine the type of visa you need
You need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK for up to 6 months for tourism, business, medical treatment, or academic research. If you plan to stay longer or want to work in the UK, you may need a different type of visa.
Step 3: Gather the required documents
You will need to provide various documents with your visa application, including your passport, proof of funds to cover your stay, proof of accommodation, and evidence of your travel plans. The exact documents you need will depend on your specific circumstances.
Step 4: Fill out the online application form
You can apply for your visitor visa online on the UK government website. You will need to create an account and fill out the application form with your personal and travel details.
Step 5: Pay the visa fee
You will need to pay a fee to submit your visa application. The fee varies depending on the type of visa you are applying for and the length of your stay.
Step 6: Attend your appointment
You will need to attend an appointment at a visa application centre to provide your biometric information, including fingerprints and a photograph.
Step 7: Wait for a decision
The processing time for a UK Standard Visitor Visa can vary, but it usually takes around 3 weeks. You can check the status of your application online.
What is the purpose of the UK Visitor visa?
You can apply for a UK visit visa for:
- tourism, including visiting family and friends
- business, including sports and entertainment
- transit through the UK
- academic visit, including teaching, exchange and visiting as a dependant of an academic visitor
- marriage or civil partnership
- private medical treatment
- short-term study (up to 6 months), including recreational course
- a Permitted Paid Engagement
UK Visitor visa requirements
To be eligible for a UK Visitor visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have a genuine reason for visiting the UK, such as tourism, business, or medical treatment.
- You must not intend to stay in the UK for longer than the period allowed by your visa (usually up to six months).
- You must be able to support yourself financially during your stay in the UK, without recourse to public funds.
- You must have suitable accommodation arranged for their stay in the UK.
- You must have strong ties to your home country, such as family, property, or employment, which will encourage you to return home after your visit.
- You must have a clean immigration history, with no previous visa refusals or immigration violations in the UK or other countries.
- You must not have a criminal record or pose a threat to national security or public safety.
What documents are required UK Standard Visitor visa?
To apply for a UK Standard Visitor visa, applicants are typically required to submit the following documents:
- A valid passport or travel document.
- A completed online application form.
- A recent passport-sized photograph.
- Evidence of the purpose of the visit, such as a letter of invitation from a UK sponsor, travel itinerary, or business documents.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of the visit, such as bank statements or payslips.
- Evidence of accommodation arrangements in the UK, such as hotel bookings or a letter of invitation from a host.
- If the applicant is employed, a letter from their employer confirming their job and salary.
- If the applicant is a student, a letter from their school or university confirming their enrollment and holiday dates.
- If the applicant is visiting for medical treatment, a letter from their doctor or hospital confirming the treatment and arrangements.
This is a general list of documents. Depending on type of application and your personal circumstances, you might also need to provide additional documents.
Please contact us for an initial assessment to determine your eligibility, and find out the required list of documents in support of your application.
How to send the supporting documents?
First, you need to scan all the supporting documents including the submission sheet in the correct format. If you do not have a scanner then you can also take pictures of the supporting documents.
Once all the documents are ready then you can send them to the email address given on the submission sheet.
Make sure that all the supporting documents:
- are in PDF, JPEG or PNG format
- have descriptive titles, with 25 or fewer characters
- are high enough quality to be read
If documents are not in English or Welsh, you must provide a certified translation.
UK tourist visa processing time
The processing time for a UK Student Visitor visa can vary depending on the country where the application is made and the time of year.
Generally, the Home Office (UKVI) aims to process most visitor visa applications within 3 weeks. However, some applications may take longer to process, especially if they require additional administrative processing or if the applicant has a complex case.
UK Visitor visa fees
The fee for a UK Visitor visa can vary depending on the type of visa and the length of stay. You can also find the latest UK visitor visa fees on the GOV website.
|Type||Fee||Maximum length of stay|
|Standard Visitor visa||£120||6 Months|
|Standard Visitor visa for medical reasons||£200||11 Months|
|Standard Visitor visa for academics||£200||12 Months|
|2 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£400||6 months per visit|
|5 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£804||6 months per visit|
|10 year long-term Standard Visitor visa||£1004||6 months per visit|
How much does a UK visitor visa application cost?
The cost of a UK Visitor visa application varies depending on the type of application you are applying for and lenght of the stay.
Here are some common costs associated with applying for a UK Visitor visa:
- £120 Standard Visitor visa application fee
- Immigration lawyer fees (if using legal services to boost your chances of success & avoid mistakes)
Please note that the above is a general list of costs associated with UK Visitors visa applications. There may be additional costs depending on your circumstances.
Immigration lawyer fees
Our expert UK immigration lawyer will guide you through every step of the UK Visitor visa application process including advice about legal requirements and eligibility criteria.
At Rex Law Chambers, our immigration lawyer charges a fixed fee between £800-£1000 for our complete legal services in relation to your Visitor visa application. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.
Immigration lawyer for the UK tourist visa
As part of our immigration services for your immigration application, our expert immigration lawyer will:
- advise you about eligibility criteria and the requirement;
- provide you with a comprehensive checklist of supporting documents;
- fill in and submit your Visitor visa application;
- check all the supporting documents;
- upload all the supporting documents online in their correct format and order;
- schedule your biometrics appointments;
- prepare a cover letter or letter of representation to support your application;
- dealing and responding to any enquiries or correspondence from the Home Office (UKVI);
- do all the follow-up work on your visa application until a decision is received from the Home Office (UKVI).
Contact our experienced and friendly immigration lawyer on 0161 989 9370 or fill in our enquiry form to get reliable & confidential immigration advice and legal assistance with a UK Visitor visa application or any other immigration matter.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
You must apply online to get a sponsor licence for your company if you meet the eligibility requirements and you need to submit all the supporting documents online along with your sponsor licence application as mentioned in Appendix A.
The "Worker" and "Temporary Worker" are two types of sponsorship licences. It depends on whether an employer is going to hire a worker for long-term employment or temporary employment to fill their jobs.
You should get a decision on the employer sponsor licence application within 8 weeks. However, you may be able to use the pre-licence priority service to fast-track your UK sponsorship licence application.
This pre-licence priority service application does not guarantee your request will be approved.
UKVI sponsor licence application fee is £536 and you need to pay the licence fee when you apply online. The sponsor licence fees depend on the type of licence and size of the organisation.
The sponsor licence fee for medium or large sponsors is £1,476 if they want to hire a worker for long-term employment.