You can make a subject access request (SAR) to the Home Office to get a copy of all your records that the Home Office is holding about you in their database.

In other words, you can request a copy of all the personal information, documents, records, decisions, visas & immigration history, notes etc which the Home Office is holding about yourself.

Requests for access to records and for other information about those records are known as "subject access requests" and are made to the person or organisation (the "data controller") who you think is processing (holding, disclosing or using) the information to which you want to access.

Our immigration lawyer can assist you with your Subject Access Request (SAR) application to the Home Office to get a full copy of your Home Office file.

Types of the subject access request

There are 3 types of requests you can make to the Home Office UKVI to get personal information held in the borders, immigration and citizenship system. You will receive a response within 30 days of your identity being verified by the Home Office. If multiple requests are made for the same person, the first request received will be treated as your sole application.


You can request a copy of:

  • an electronic summary of your immigration history
  • landing cards we hold electronically
  • visa applications you submitted from outside of the UK (as part of entry clearance)
  • Workers Registration Scheme (WRS) information if you are a national of Czechia, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia
  • Entry and exit into and out of the UK. Your travel history can be provided for the past 5 years if a passport or travel document is submitted for this period

Most people find that this option gives them all the information they need.


You can request specific information if you need to. You should clearly describe what documents you need.

You can request copies of up to 5 single documents, for example:

  • a list of your applications
  • a particular decision letter
  • the outcome of an appeal (appeal determination)
  • a particular detention progress report
  • a deportation order
  • a particular interview record

If you need more information than the single documents in this list, you will need to make a detailed request.


This allows you to request a copy of your Home Office paper file. Initially, you will be sent an electronic summary of your immigration information (as with a basic application) this gives most people what they need. However, this option also allows you to request further information from your Home Office paper file if the electronic data did not fulfil your request. Refining your request to state clearly what paper records you need will help your application.

Our fee

We charge a fixed fee of £400 for our professional legal services in relation to your Subject Access Request (SAR) application. Our expert UK immigration lawyer will guide you through every step of the Subject Access Request application process.

Need legal advice or help from an immigration lawyer?

Call us on 0161 989 9370 or fill in the enquiry form to get legal advice or help with your UK visa application. Our UK immigration lawyer is ready to assist you.

At Rex Law Chambers, we specialise in a wide range of UK visas and nationality applications and our principal immigration lawyer has a wealth of experience and expert knowledge to deal with all types of UK visas and immigration applications. He has successfully handled many complex and high-profile cases and also represented clients in their immigration matters.

Free immigration advice online

Our immigration lawyer can provide one-off FREE general legal advice online via live chat or through the enquiry form. The FREE advice does not cover the advice in relation to complex legal issues or advice about documents to be submitted in support of the application.

If you would like to get detailed immigration advice then please schedule an in-person, Zoom, or phone consultation by using our appointment request form.