If you are already in the UK under a visa category which allows you to switch your immigration status to Tier 2 General, you can make an application for stay as Tier 2 General Migrant from inside the UK. You must meet all the relevant requirements including any conditions with regards to switching from your current visa status to the Tier 2 General category. An unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) must be issued by your prospective employer for you to apply for Tier 2 General leave from inside the UK.

Switching From Tier 4 General Student To Tier 2 General

If you are switching from Tier 4 General Student category to Tier 2 General, you can only switch into Tier 2 General if you meet the following criteria:

  • you must have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave or a period of continuous leave which includes your last grant of leave; and
  • you studied for the eligible award at a UK institution that is a UK recognised or listed body, or an education provider which holds a licence for sponsoring students under Tier 4 of the Points-Based system; and
  • you are applying from inside the UK.

The Tier 2 sponsor is exempt from meeting the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) if the applicant meets the above referred switching criteria. The employer needs to issue an unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) which the applicant will use to make an application for Tier 2 General. The applicant's job and salary level should comply with the requirements of the Code of Practice.

What is UK Tier 2 General work visa?

The Tier 2 General work visa category is for those skilled wokers who have been offered a skilled job in the UK to fill a gap in the workforce. An application for Tier 2 General leave can be made to the Home Office, UKVI after a licenced Tier 2 Sponsor (employer approved by the Home Office, UKVI to employ a foreign worker) has obtained a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to sponsor a foreign worker's stay in the UK. Tier 2 General is a Point Based System (PBS) visa Category and points can be awarded for the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), Appropriate Salary, English language and funds for maintenance.

Extension / renewal of Tier 2 General work visa

Person who is already in the UK on Tier 2 General visa can seek extension of his stay either before the expiry of his Tier 2 General visa or in case he is changing job and being sponsored by a different Tier 2 sponsor. An application for extension of Tier 2 General cannot be made from outside the UK.

Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

A certificate of sponsorship holds your personal details and information about the job you've been offered. It’s an electronic record, not a paper document. Your sponsor will give you a certificate of sponsorship reference number to add to your application.

Our fee

Our expert UK immigration lawyer will guide you through every step of the switching into Tier 2 General visa application process including advice about legal requirements and eligibility criteria.

Our fixed fee

We charge a fixed fee starting from £700 for our professional legal services in relation to application for switching into Tier 2 General work  visa. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.

Our highly experienced Tier 2 visa consultant in UK can advice you about all the legal requirements to apply for Tier 2 UK visa. We regularly assist applicants who have secured a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to work in the UK to make a successful Tier 2 visa application. Contact us now if you need professional legal help regarding your application.

Do you need legal help?

Contact Rex Law Chambers, if you have any questions or need legal help with any UK immigration law related matter. At Rex Law Chambers, we specialise in a wide range of UK visas and nationality applications and our principal immigration lawyer has wealth of experience and expert knowledge to deal with all types of UK visas and immigration applications. He has successfully handled many complex and high-profile cases and also represented clients in their immigration matters.

We can provide one-off FREE general legal advice via live chat or our "Enquiry Form". The FREE advice does not cover the advice in relation to complex legal issues or advice about documents to be submitted in support of the application. If you would like to to get detailed legal advice then please schedule an in-person, Zoom, Skype or phone consultation by using our "Appointment Request Form".

Connect With Us