An EEA family permit is a form of 'entry clearance' to the UK (similar to a visa). It is for nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who are family members of EEA nationals. The initial visa is granted for 6 months and once the family member is in the UK, he/she will be required to make a subsequent application either under the EU settlement scheme or a residence card under the EEA Regulations. Once the initial application is granted, it is very unlikely that a further application will be refused.

Although the UK is a member of the EEA, a non-EEA family member of a British citizen should not generally come to the UK using an EEA family permit. However, a non-EEA family member of a British citizen living abroad can apply for an EEA family permit to join the British citizen on their return to the UK if:

  • the British citizen has been living in an EEA member state as a worker or self-employed person; and
  • the family member, if they are the British citizen's spouse or civil partner, has been living together with the British citizen in the EEA country.

EEA family permit is issued for six months and before the expiry of the EEA family permit, the non-EEA national can apply for residence card as a family member of an EEA national. Similarly, a person who has entered the UK with family permit under Surrinder Singh principle, can apply for residence card as a family member of a British Citizen. Residence card as a family member of an EEA national is issued for five years in accordance with the EEA Regulations 2006.

If your application for family permit is refused by the Entry Clearance Officer (ECO), you will have a right of appeal against the refusal of your application. The appeal should be filed with the First Tier Tribunal within 28 days from the date of receipt of the refusal letter. We can represent you in relation to your appeal against the refusal of family permit.

Our fee

We are expert in dealing with such applications and if instructed will carry out all the work on the application until the decision is received from the Home Office UKVI. Please contact expert UK immigration lawyer at Rex Law Chambers (Manchester) to fully assess your circumstances and eligibility for a family permit so that we can advise you on your eligibility and the documentary evidence you require to support the application. 

Our fixed fee

We will charge a fixed fee from £1000 for our professional legal services in relation to your application for family permit as family member of an EEA national. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.

Do you need legal help?

Contact Rex Law Chambers, if you have any questions or need legal help with any UK immigration law related matter. At Rex Law Chambers, we specialise in a wide range of UK visas and nationality applications and our principal immigration lawyer has wealth of experience and expert knowledge to deal with all types of UK visas and immigration applications. He has successfully handled many complex and high-profile cases and also represented clients in their immigration matters.

We can provide one-off FREE general legal advice via live chat or our "Enquiry Form". The FREE advice does not cover the advice in relation to complex legal issues or advice about documents to be submitted in support of the application. If you would like to to get detailed legal advice then please schedule an in-person, Zoom, Skype or phone consultation by using our "Appointment Request Form".

Connect With Us